Doing Research at the CFMRI - 3T Scanners
1. Contact CFMRI
Please contact CFMRI (email@example.com) if you have questions about getting started or to discuss the feasibility of your proposed study.
2. Submit a Proposal
Current PIs - PIs who currently have projects on the 3T scanners can login to the Webschedule system. Click on Manage My Proposals and choose New Proposal. For help click on the Help menu item.
New PIs - If you do not already have an account for on-line submissions, please email Eman Ghobrial firstname.lastname@example.org to request one. When you receive your account login details you can submit your proposal.
For further information on How To - Submit/Edit proposal
3. Proposal Approval
When the Proposal is received by CFMRI it will be considered by the relevant Committee and you will be notified if any additional information is required. When the proposal is approved the following Accounts are created:
- Webschedule - for scheduling research time and reporting scanner related problems.
- Server - for data transfer (Instructions available link).
- Exam Room - for scheduling exam rooms, if needed (email email@example.com).
- Parking - for scheduling reserved parking, if needed (email firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Mock Scanner - for scheduling research time on the Mock Scanner (email email@example.com).
Note: the scanner operators need to be identified for each project (see Step 5 below for procedures to become a certified operator).
4. Safety Training
All potential scanner operators must completeCFMRI Safety Training before proceeding to Operator Training.
- Fill out the online registration form before the Safety lecture (https://cfmriweb.ucsd.edu/cfmri-training).
- Attend the CFMRI Safety lecture. Note: Bring a printed copy of the safety manual (PDF) and supplementary guidelines to the lecture (PDF).
- Pass the online safety test (https://cfmriweb.ucsd.edu/etraining).
Everyone is encouraged to attend the safety lecture even if official training is not required.
5. Operator Training
- Complete Step 4 above.
- The project PI must send a request for the operator to be trained
- Complete operator hands-on training at the CFMRI
- When signed off as a Certified Operator by CFMRI, submit this form to request approval to be added to the relevant project on the CFMRI Webschedule. https://cfmriweb.ucsd.edu/cfmriaccess
6. CFMRI Building Access and Scanner Access
The CFMRI Building main entrance is normally open 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Mon-Fri).
- Complete this form https://cfmriweb.ucsd.edu/cfmriaccess to request access to the
- CFMRI Building After hours
- 3T Scanner
- 7T Scanner
- Mock Scanner
- Only CFMRI Safety Trained personnel are eligible to request access. Level of access granted is based on current training status.
- Request must be approved by both the PI and CFMRI before access is granted.
When access is approved, the researcher will receive email instructions on how to apply for and activate a proximity card for accessing the CFMRI building and Scanners. For non-UCSD researchers a $35 refundable deposit is required for the card.
Only those who have been officially safety-trained may enter the magnet rooms.
7. Join our user group
8. Scan Session Checklist
- 3T MRI Recruitment/Advance Screening Form
- Webschedule - to schedule Scan Time/Exam Rooms and Parking
- 3T MRI Pre-Entry Screening Form - return to Center Admin. Staff
- 3T MRI Operator Checklist - return to Center Admin. Staff
9. Read the How To page for more information. How To Page